Re: Questions for NVRAM+SATA SSDs with Bluestore

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, myoungwon oh wrote:
> Hi, I have questions for bluestore (4K random write case).
>
> So far, we have used NVRAM(PCIe) as journal and SSD (SATA) as data
> disk (filestore).
> Therefore, we got performance gain from NVRAM journal.
> However, current Bluestore design seems that data (4K aligned) is
> written to data disk first, then metadata is written to WAL rocksdb.
> This design can remove “double write” in objectstore, but in our case,
> NVRAM can not be utilized fully.
>
>  So, my questions are that
>
> 1. Can bluestore write WAL first as filestore?

You can do it indirectly with bluestore_min_alloc_size=65536, which will
send anything smaller than this value through the wal path.  Please let
us know what effect this has on our latency/performance!

> 2. If not, using bcache or flashcache for NVRAM on top of SSDs is right
> answer?

This is also possible, but I expect we'd like to make this work out of the
box if we can!

sage