Re: determining client and server on a connection

On Tue, 2016-06-21 at 00:26 +0800, Haomai Wang wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi! I'm just getting started working with ceph, and decided to tackle
> > fixing up the wireshark dissector which isn't working properly when you
> > use the kernel's fs client.
> >
> > This page says that the server always sends its banner first:
> >
> >     http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/dev/network-protocol/?highlight=protocol
> >
> > ...but that's not true with the Linux kernel client. The client and
> > server send their banners and addresses concurrently, and the client
> > often gets there first. The wireshark dissector relies on the server
> > sending its banner first however, so it quickly mixes the two up and
> > things go south from there.
> Hmm, actually I also modify this behavior in async msgr(https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9802 last commit).
> Because I found there is no real logic difference in ordering.

Yeah, sending them concurrently does seem like the right thing to do.
There's no reason to serialize them at all, AFAICT. The first draft of
the patch is here:

    https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/16043/1

It seems to work for me when sniffing both the kernel and FUSE mounts
now.

The patch is not terribly pretty, but I think we'll have more work to
do in the dissector once msgr2 starts getting closer to being
finalized.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>