Understanding mon space usage during recovery

Hi,

I was recently trying to understand the growth of mon disk space usage during recovery in one of our clusters, wanted to know whether we could reduce disk usage somehow or if we just have to prepare more space for our mons. Cluster is 0.94.6, just over 300 OSDs. Leveldb compaction does reduce space usage but it quickly grows back to the previous usage. What I found out is that most of the leveldb data is used by osdmap history.

For each osdmap version leveldb contains both full and incremental entry so I was thinking if we really need to store full osdmaps for all versions? If we're having incremental changes for every version anyway, wouldn't it be sufficient to keep first full version only and then recover any future ones by applying incrementals?

I was also trying to understand how ceph figures out the range of osdmap versions to keep. After analyzing the code I thought the obvious answer was in PGMap::calc_min_last_epoch_clean() - In case of our production cluster, the difference between min and max clean epochs was around 30k during recovery, size of one full osdmap blob
in leveldb is around 250k.

I also tried to test this on my dev cluster where I could run gdb (15 OSD, 4 OSD nearfull and lots of misplaced objects). What I found out is that execution in OSDmonitor::get_trim_to() almost never jumped inside the first 'if'. mon->pgmon()->is_readable() returns false, I did debug it once and it was a result of false returned by Paxos::is_lease_valid(). I was able get into mentioned 'if' only once the cluster got back to the healthy state. Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Bartek