Re: Initial proposal for bluestore compression control and statistics

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 04:52:18PM +0300, Igor Fedotov wrote:

> On 19.05.2016 20:57, Piotr Dałek wrote:
> >I would also add ability to set minimum acceptable compression ratio,
> >with at least two options (any and no-expand). "Any" would store compressed
> >objects regardless how well they've compressed and "No-expand" would store
> >object in compressed format only if compressed size is smaller than
> >uncompressed size.
>
> Why do we need "Any" option? Isn't "No-expand" enough?

For example, when someone wants to benchmark Bluestore compression in worst case
scenario, or when someone wants to use compression as data-masking technique. And
finally, "no-expand" implies additional code in compressor/decompressor code
path and this option would go around it.
(Not particularly practical uses, but there might be someone who finds this
useful... and it's not difficult to do in code).

--
Piotr Dałek
branch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx