Re: Issuing custom IOCTLs to SCSI LLD

Handzik, Joseph <joseph.t.handzik <at> hpe.com> writes:

> I was intentionally staying quiet to hear other opinions, but I agree
that the same mechanisms I'm building
> for LED operations could extend here (within Ceph of we want it to,
but at the very least in libstoragemgmt).

> Naveen, if you have interest in helping push this along I'd encourage
you to voice your interest over on the
> libstoragemgmt GitHub: https://github.com/libstorage/libstoragemgmt
>
> Joe
>

> > This is all pretty relevant to Joe Handzik's stuff:
> > https://github.com/joehandzik/ceph/commits/wip-hw-mgmt-cli
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg30126.html
> >
> > The idea there though is to enable passing libstoragemgmt calls
> > through the OSD, as opposed to arbitrary SCSI operations.
> >
> > Although libstoragemgmt is fairly young, I'm a fan of the idea that
we
> > could use it internally within Ceph, and then have the same
tools/libs
> > used by out-of-ceph management platforms when they want to do
> > equivalent stuff while the OSD is offline.
> >
> > John

interface? Does

> >> It depends on what privileges the other app has.  If it's root or
user
> >> ceph, it can step all over the disk (and the rest of the system)
and wreak
> >> havoc.  With the current backend, we are storing data as files, so
you
> >> could have other apps using other directories on the file system--
this is
> >> generally a bad idea for real deployments, though, as performance
and disk
> >> utilization will be unpredictable.
> >>
> >> sage

Thanks everyone for the inputs and clarifications. Looks like
libstoragemgmt is key to lot of these feature. Will explore that next
and add if any questions in the git.

thanks,
naveen