Re: Issuing custom IOCTLs to SCSI LLD

Sage Weil <sage <at> newdream.net> writes:

> > > My question is:
> > > The SCSI LLD would support both read /write entry points for I/O
> > > requests issued by the filesystem/block I/O but they also support
some
> > > custom requests using IOCTLs. So how can ceph support issuing of
such
> > > IOCTL requests to the device if user issues such request. Say for
> > > example power cycling the drive etc. It can also be a passthro
request
> > > down to the device.
>
> Can you give an example of such an operation?
>
> In general, any operation is generalized at the librados level.
> For example, in order to get write same and cmpxchg block operations,
we
> added librados operations with similar semantics and implement them
there.
> It is unlikely that passing a complex operation down to the SCSI layer
> will work in unison with the other steps involved in committing
> an operation (e.g., updating metadata indicating the object
> version has changed).
>
> sage
>
> --
in
> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Thanks for the response Sage. Example IOCTL operations would be like
downloading a new FW to the drive/HBA, task management requests like
Hard reset, power cycling the drive, issue a SAS/SMP/STP pass thro
command to the drive for querying etc. All these would have to be
initiated and go through ceph (if supported) and not bypassing it.

I asked a related question in another post too: Can a physical disk
(/dev/sda1) assigned to a ceph OSD object be continued to used by other
apps in the system to issue I/O directly via (/dev/sda1) interface? Does
ceph prevent it, as such operations may corrupt data?

Thanks in advance,
naveen