Re: on-the-wire encryption, addrs, and cephx

On Fri, 6 May 2016, Adam C. Emerson wrote:
> On 06/05/2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> [snip]
> > and we'll also need to keep the v1 protocol support around for a
> > long time (probably a couple years at least) for the benefit of old
> > clients.  And there's no reason anybody *has* to switch to the new
> > protocol unless they need the new features or improved security.
> [snip]
>
> I can understand not wanting to force people to take a performance
> hit. However, it sounded, from your writeup, like even without
> encryption the new auth mechanism would be an improvement on the old
> one. Once we do get it working, tested, and performant, I'd suggest we
> might want to force users' hand on the issue and announce that the old
> mechanism will be removed in some upcoming version, rather than
> waiting for users to rotate older clients out over time.

As soon as the new stuff is stable and performant, yeah, I think we should
announce the old stuff is deprecated.  But we will have to keep it around
for a pretty long time to support existing kernels and clients.  People
still pretty frequently have dumpling or older clients talking to
up-to-date clusters.  Partly this is just infrastructure moving slowly,
and partly it users not wanting to restart running VMs.

I would say at least 2 LTS releases, maybe longer...

sage