Re: on-the-wire encryption, addrs, and cephx

On 06/05/2016, Sage Weil wrote:
[snip]
> and we'll also need to keep the v1 protocol support around for a
> long time (probably a couple years at least) for the benefit of old
> clients.  And there's no reason anybody *has* to switch to the new
> protocol unless they need the new features or improved security.
[snip]

I can understand not wanting to force people to take a performance
hit. However, it sounded, from your writeup, like even without
encryption the new auth mechanism would be an improvement on the old
one. Once we do get it working, tested, and performant, I'd suggest we
might want to force users' hand on the issue and announce that the old
mechanism will be removed in some upcoming version, rather than
waiting for users to rotate older clients out over time.

--
Senior Software Engineer           Red Hat Storage, Ann Arbor, MI, US
IRC: Aemerson@{RedHat, OFTC, Freenode}