RE: Introducing libstoragemgmt as a Ceph dependency

Hey Sage,

-----Original Message-----
From: Sage Weil [mailto:sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:15 PM
To: Handzik, Joseph <joseph.t.handzik@xxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tasleson@xxxxxxxxxx; Gris Ge <fge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Introducing libstoragemgmt as a Ceph dependency

Hi Joseph,

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Handzik, Joseph wrote:
> Hey ceph-devel,
>
> Back around this time in 2015, I started asking questions about what
> the Ceph community would expect around hardware integration with an
> underlying storage system (my primary concern was blinking LEDs):
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg23404.html
>
> I received some good feedback, which turned into this blueprint here:
> http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/Calamariapihardwarestorage
>
> That set me down a windy path of pulling device paths for underlying
> devices via the OSD, pulling metadata attributes for OSDs into
> calamari, and eventually over to libstoragemgmt (Github link:
> https://github.com/libstorage/libstoragemgmt).
>
> libstoragemgmt covers what I perceived to be the initial requirements
> for an API to talk to underlying storage devices. It's vendor
> agnostic, extensible, and provides C and python bindings. Over the
> last 6 months or so, we've spent time in the libstoragemgmt source
> adding a set of APIs that actually submit SCSI Enclosure Service
> commands via C and python bindings. The first set of functionality
> introduced was commands to enable and disable the IDENT and FAULT
> LEDs. These APIs sit alongside the vendor-specific interfaces that
> libstoragemgmt already provided (there's good support for Smart Array
> and MegaRAID, for example). We're working on NVMe support too, though
> that may slip out of the upcoming
> 1.3 release.
>
> My involvement in libstoragemgmt, as mentioned earlier, was with the
> purpose of integrating better hardware monitoring and management
> support into Ceph. I did some work on my own in a fork that I created
> of libstoragemgmt to integrate it into the Ceph cli that exists today
> (note that the APIs in upstream libstoragemgmt have changed, but the
> code would be conceptually similar):
> https://github.com/joehandzik/ceph/tree/wip-hw-mgmt-cli

Blinky lights, yay!

> John Spray has already mentioned to me that I should convert my
> message interface to use "tell" commands instead, but aside from that
> I think this is roughly what a final pull would look like (with test
> framework code). I have tested this on HPE hardware, so the concept
> does work. All of this functionality will require an opt-in from the
> user via a ceph.conf value (to tell Ceph what storage device they're
> using). If the value is never set, the user will  not be able to use these APIs.
>
> I'm giving all the above for context, but what I really need to know
> from the ceph-devel community is: Does anyone have any concerns with
> adding libstoragemgmt as a Ceph dependency? It would only work for the
> standard Linux flavors and distros (Rhel and Centos, OpenSuse and
> SLES, Debian and Ubuntu). The features I'm adding would be no-ops or
> disabled for other distros unless someone in the community finds a way
> to distribute libstoragemgmt for their operating environment or finds
> an adequate replacement for the functionality. It's also worth noting
> that I'm completely dependent on the previously mentioned 1.3 release
> of libstoragemgmt, which is why I've waited on this for a while (the
> blueprint was initially intended for Jewel).

The current distros upstream currently buidls on are:

 centos 7
 ubuntu 16.04
 ubuntu 14.04
 debian 8 (jessie)

Other packages are all down downstream (e.g., opensuse and sles).

Anyway, is libstoragemgt available for the above?

[JH] - I'm seeing packages for both 16.04 and 14.04, along with Debian Jessie and Centos7. I think my biggest challenge will be figuring out *exactly* when the 1.3 release of libstoragemgmt is available for all these distros. I don't plan to submit a pull until I can confirm that.

We will presuambly want the build system to conditionally compile it out with a flag in case it is not present or available, so we can also do that as needed (e.g., on 14.04, which probably won't have it).

[JH] - Can do, I agree that I want to give folks the option to compile without it. Thanks!

sage