Re: Bluestore cluster example

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Dan van der Ster wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > A couple of folks have asked me how to setup bluestore clusters for
>> > performance testing.  I personally am using cbt for this, but you should be
>> > able to use ceph-disk with some other cluster creation method as well.
>> >
>> > For CBT, you really don't need to do much.  In the old newstore days, a
>> > "block" symlink needed to be created in the osd data dir to link to the new
>> > block device.  CBT did this when the "newstore_block: True" option was set
>> > in the cluster section of the cbt yaml file.  This isn't really needed
>> > anymore, as you can now specify the block, db, and wal devices directly in
>> > your ceph.conf file.  If your partitions are setup properly you can create
>> > bluestore clusters without having to do anything beyond changing the
>> > ceph.conf file (with cbt at least).
>> >
>> > Here's a very basic example:
>> >
>> > [global]
>> >         enable experimental unrecoverable data corrupting features =
>> > bluestore rocksdb
>> >         osd objectstore = bluestore
>> >
>> > [osd.0]
>> >         host = incerta01.front.sepia.ceph.com
>> >         osd data = /tmp/cbt/mnt/osd-device-0-data
>> >         bluestore block path = /dev/disk/by-partlabel/osd-device-0-block
>> >         bluestore block db path = /dev/disk/by-partlabel/osd-device-0-db
>> >         bluestore block wal path = /dev/disk/by-partlabel/osd-device-0-wal
>>
>> The db and wal paths are optional perf boosting things, right?
>
> Yeah.
>
>> If I do ceph-disk prepare --bluestore /dev/sdae, I get:
>>
>> /dev/sdae :
>>  /dev/sdae2 ceph block, for /dev/sdae1
>>  /dev/sdae1 ceph data, active, cluster ceph, osd.413, block /dev/sdae2
>
> Looks right!  ceph-disk isn't smart enough to set up the wal or db devices
> yet.
>
> The wal device should default to something like 128 MB.
>
> The db device would be whatever portion of an SSD you want to allocate to
> storing the bluestore metadata.  My guess is that we'll get further than
> we did with FileStore, so the old 1:4 or 1:5 rule of thumb might be more
> like 1:10, but who knows--this'll require some testing.

Cool, I'll start testing wal/db on SSDs with some new machines ~next week.

Just to clarify, if we give no wal, there is no wal, right?
But if we don't give a dedicated db device, where does the db go?

Also, bluestore being experimental in jewel -- I guess that means you
don't promise to support the current on disk format in kraken and
beyond?

Thanks!

Dan