Re: Adding compression support for bluestore.

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
And to just add something practical to this: recently lz4 compression has made
it into ZFS and has become the standard advice for compression.
It is considered the most efficient tradeoff between compression efficiency
and cpu-cycle consumption, and it is supposed to keep up with the throughput
that devices in the backingstore have. Not sure how that pans out with a full
SSD array, but opinions about that will be there soon as SSD are getting cheap
rapidly.

There are plenty of choices:
compression     on | off | lzjb | gzip | gzip-[1-9] | zle | lz4
But using other compression algos is only recommended after due testing.

On the testing front, this will help
https://github.com/hyc/PolyZ

Then you only need to write your test code once, to a single API, and you can evaluate all of the different compression libraries just by changing LD_PRELOAD.

This is what I used for our own compression evaluation...
http://symas.com/mdb/inmem/compress/

--
  -- Howard Chu