Re: [GSoC2016] BlueStore SMR Support

On 03/14/2016 08:33 AM, Giridhar Yasa wrote:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016, Giridhar Yasa wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Shehbaz Jaffer wrote:

2) Will scope of project be to build an allocator on a simulator for
SMR Drives? Or will I get actual HDDs to work with? In case of
simulators, will the project involve building a simulator on disksim?
I seem to remember hearing something about a dm module that simulated SMR,
but I'm not sure.  We may also be able to get some SMR disks to play
with--I'll reach out to our drive vendor friends.
Would that be https://github.com/hgst/libzbc from HGST?
Yes.

I'm not sure about a disk simulator or actual drive availability,
though.
libzbc has an emulation mode that can use files or block devices to
emulate SMR disk zones.

Giridhar

Just keep in mind that different vendors have different behaviors - you will need to tweak it I assume to make it act like the drive you are interested in.

Regards,

Ric