From: ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Josh Durgin
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 5:54 PM
To: Mark Nelson; Moreno, Orlando; ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Blinick, Stephen L
Subject: Re: Infernalis on NVMe cephx authentication impact

On 02/02/2016 04:52 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:
> Hi Orlando,
>
> Hrm, looks like https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3896 didn't make it
> into Hammer at release. :(  That might also account for a large part
> of the performance disparity.  Coincidentally Josh Durgin made a
> branch with the PR backported to hammer a couple of weeks ago here:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commits/wip-auth-hammer

Turns out it fixes a bug [0] in addition to being faster, so expect it in a future hammer release.

Has anyone measured the overhead of message signing (the 'cephx sign messages' option)? It's on by default with cephx, but can be disabled separately. What auth settings were these tests using?

It may be worth requiring message signatures by default now that it's been supported in the kernel client since 3.19.

Josh

[0] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/14620
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).