Re: Ideas for new ceph-mgr service

On 13/01/2016, Mark Nelson wrote:
[snip]
> My gut instinct is to agree with Matt on this one, but I know the pain of
> trying to develop web services in C++ so I can't get too ornery about it.
> If there are ways to keep it C++ throughout without too much pain I'd
> advocate that route.
[snip]

If the main concern is the annoyance of writing web services, would it make
sense to use some widely supported binary protocol (Protocol Buffers, Flat
Buffers, Cap'n Proto, etc.) that can be implemented easily in C++ and is well
supported in Python and other languages?

If we /need/ HTTP and JSON specifically (presumably for someone hacking up
management software in a web browser's JavaScript runtime) could we have a
Python translator that just shovels messages from the binary protocol to the
HTTP JSON protocol and back?

--
Senior Software Engineer           Red Hat Storage, Ann Arbor, MI, US
IRC: Aemerson@{RedHat, OFTC, Freenode}