Re: Ideas for new ceph-mgr service

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Matt Benjamin <mbenjamin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

Good to hear!

> [...]
>>  * ceph-rest-api, which is a stateless HTTP wrapper around the
>> MonCommand interface.  All calls hit the mons directly, it's really
>> just a protocol converter, and it's really more RPC than REST.
>>  * Calamari, which has a very extensible architecture, but suffers
>> from being rather heavyweight, with lots of dependencies like its own
>> database, and requires its own separate agents running on all the Ceph
>> servers.
>>
>> So, the idea is to create a new lightweight service (ceph-mgr) that
>> runs alongside the mon, and uses the existing Ceph network channels to
>> talk to remote hosts.  The address of this service would be published
>> in the OSDMap, and OSDs and other daemons would send their
>> non-essential stats to the mgr instead of the mon.  For HA we would
>> probably run a mgr alongside each mon, and use whichever mgr instance
>> lived with the current leader mon.
>>
>> Internally, the mgr itself then has three main components:
>>  * The server (a Messenger), which receives telemetry from daemons
>> elsewhere in the system, and receives cluster map updates from the mon
>>  * A simple in memory store of all the structures that we receive from
>> the cluster (the maps, the daemon metadata, the pg stats)
>>  * An embedded python interpreter that hosts high level functionality
>> like a REST API.
>>
>> The mgr embodies the interface between "C++ Ceph land" (cephx auth,
>> Messenger, and ::encode/::decode serialization) and "admin land"
>> (JSON-like structures, REST APIs, Python modules).  The reason for
>> doing this in one process, rather than putting the Python parts in a
>> separate service (like calamari) is twofold:
>>  * Code simplicity: avoid inventing a C++->Python network API that
>> re-implements things like cluster map subscription and incremental
>> OSDmaps.
>>  * Efficiency: transmit data in its native encoding, hold it in memory
>> in native structs, and only expose what's needed up into Python-land
>> at runtime.
>
> I defer to your intuition on keeping this localized in the ceph-mon process (there are obviously a ton of reaosns to do this).
>
> I would -strongly- request that we not use a hybrid C++ & Python server as a production version of this capability.  If the proof of concept is as successful as I intuit, I think it would be highly desirable to design a scalable, native-code framework for the core management service runtime.
>
> Any apparent advantage from flexibility of Cython interfacing is, honestly, I think, strongly outweighed by the drawbacks of supporting the hybrid interfaces, not to mention the pervasive serialization and latency properties of a Python-driven runtime model.  (That's not to say I think that Python shouldn't be used to implement routines called from a core management runtime, if you strongly prefer not to run such code out-of-process [as systems like Salt, iirc, do].)

The idea is that the core of the service is in C++, handling talking
to the Ceph cluster, and updating all the state.  The python stuff
would be loaded and plug into a very narrow interface: actually pretty
similar to what the python code in the current CLI can do (send
commands, read status json objects), but without the serialization
overhead, and with efficient notifications for subscribing to cluster
map updates.  What I definitely *don't* want to do is write thousands
of lines of wrapper/interface code.

Latency: the python layer is stuff that will be called remotely over
HTTP from GUIs or other tools: once you're going down the whole
HTTP/JSON route, the efficiency of the language runtime tends to
become less significant, and the chances are that the code at the
other end of the collection is not super-efficient either.  The key
efficiency part IMHO is how we handle the firehose of data coming from
the cluster (in C++) rather than the individual request handling (in
Python).  I tend to think of the C++ side as the "downwards" interface
to Ceph, and the Python as the "upwards" interface to the wider world,
and this process is really straddling the line between the part where
raw execution performance is very important, and the part where ease
of integration with other code is most important.

Aside from performance, I recognise that there would be an argument to
use C++ throughout in the interests of uniformity.  For me, that's
outweighed by the how radically quicker it is to build web services in
Python, and an outward-facing REST API would be one of the biggest
parts of this service LOC-wise.

All that said... my big get-out here is that I don't think it's an
either-or choice.  We could readily define the interface to these
modules in C++ terms, and then implement the python-wrapping as a
special C++ module that happens to just load up and run python code.
That way, when there were pieces of functionality that made sense in
C++ (for example if we wanted to efficiently scan over lots of PG data
to generate some other statistics or state) we could use it, and in
other cases (for example a third party wants to plug our stats output
into their system) they can write lightweight python modules.

John

P.S. I think this was just a typo in your mail but to clarify, I'm
talking about CPython (the default python interpreter) rather than
Cython (the static compiler for python)