The max single write IOPS on single RBD

Hi Guys,

We have a small 4 nodes cluster. Here is the hardware configuration.

11 x 300GB SSD, 24 cores, 32GB memory per one node.
all the nodes connected within one 1Gb/s network.

So we have one Monitor and 44 OSDs for testing kernel RBD IOPS using
fio. Here are the major fio options.

-direct=1
-rw=randwrite
-ioengine=psync
-size=1000M
-bs=4k
-numjobs=1

The max IOPS we can achieve for single write (numjobs=1) is close to
1000. This means each IO from RBD takes 1.x ms.

>From osd logs, we can also observe most of osd_ops will take 1.x ms,
including op processing, journal writing, replication, etc, before
sending commit back to client.

The network RTT is around 0.04 ms;
Most osd_ops on primary OSD take around 0.5~0.7 ms, journal write takes 0.3 ms;
Most osd_repops including writing journal on peer OSD take around 0.5 ms.

We even tried to modify journal to write page cache only, but didn't
get very significant improvement. Does it mean this is the best result
we can get for single write on single RBD?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Zhi Zhang (David)