Re: new OSD re-using old OSD id fails to boot

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, David Zafman wrote:
> On 12/9/15 2:39 AM, Wei-Chung Cheng wrote:
> > Hi Loic,
> >
> > I try to reproduce this problem on my CentOS7.
> > I can not do the same issue.
> > This is my version:
> > ceph version 10.0.0-928-g8eb0ed1 (8eb0ed1dcda9ee6180a06ee6a4415b112090c534)
> > Would you describe more detail?
> >

> > Hi David, Sage,
> >
> > In most of time, when we found the osd failure, the OSD is already in
> > `out` state.
> > It could not avoid the redundant data movement unless we could set the
> > osd noout when failure.
> > Is it right? (Means if OSD go into `out` state, it will make some
> > redundant data movement)
> Yes, one case would be that during the 5 minute down window of an OSD disk
> failure, the noout flag can be set if a spare disk is available.  Another
> scenario would be a bad SMART status or noticing EIO errors from a disk
> prompting a replacement.  So if a spare disk is already installed or you have
> hot swappable drives, it would be nice to replace the drive and let recovery
> copy back all the data that should be there.  Using noout would be critical to
> this effort.
>
> I don't understand why Sage suggests below that a down+out phase would be
> required during the replacement.

Hmm, I wasn't thinking about a hot spare scenario.  We've always assumed
that there is no point to hot spares--you may as well have them
participating in the cluster, doing useful work, and let the failure
rebalance distributed across all disks (and not hammer the replacement).

sage