Re: new OSD re-using old OSD id fails to boot

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, David Zafman wrote:
> Remember I really think we want a disk replacement feature that would retain
> the OSD id so that it avoids unnecessary data movement.  See tracker
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/13732

Yeah, I totally agree.  We just need to form an opinion on how... probably
starting with the user experience.  Ideally we'd go from up + in to down +
in to down + out, then pull the drive and replace, and then initialize a
new OSD with the same id... and journal partition.  Something like

  ceph-disk recreate id=N uuid=U <osd device path>

I.e., it could use the uuid (which the cluster has in the OSDMap) to find
(and re-use) the journal device.

For a journal failure it'd probably be different.. but maybe not?

Any other ideas?

sage