Re: queue_transaction interface + unique_ptr + performance

I still want there to be a single instance.  You need to have the
interface take TransactionRef by rvalue ref to make that work
(TransactionRef &&) as Adam mentioned.  This forces the caller to
either pass an rvalue or use std::move() -- which forces it to be
explicit.  The point of unique_ptr is to enforces single ownership
(any current violation of which would be a serious bug) with minimal
overhead.  I suspect that the performance issue you saw initially was
that the compiler simply wasn't in-lining the construction?
shared_ptr is of course more expensive due to the need to maintain a
thread safe ref count.  Any user which actually needs the ref count
would probably be just as slow with a hand-rolled implementation
(assuming we use make_shared).  Any user which doesn't actually need
the ref count could be switched to use unique_ptr.
-Sam