Re: Suggestions on tracker 13578

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Paul Von-Stamwitz
<PVonStamwitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Separating things into "advise" vs. "health" probably doesn't solve
the problem, because one has to decide what goes in which section, and
ends up with the same problem as INFO/WARN/ERR categorisation -- the
idea of having different categories is fine, the hard part is
assigning particular items to a category in a way that makes sense for
different users.

IMHO the core problems are attempting to collapse all these
notifications into a global indicator, and attempting to do that in
the same way for all systems.  It needs to be finer grained than that.
I never got around to doing anything with #7192 [1], but it outlines a
way to change the health outlet into a form where it's easier to
selectively ignore particular items.

Once you break down the health output into a set of known status
codes, a natural extension would be to have user-configurable masks,
so that they could cancel particular warnings if they wanted to.
Think of it like having the ability to press the warning lights in an
aeroplane cockpit to turn off the alarm sound.

John

1. http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/7192