Re: Symbolic links like feature on radosgw

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Guang Yang <guangyy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Yehuda,
> We have a user requirement that needs symbolic link like feature on radosgw
> - two object ids pointing to the same object (ideally it could cross bucket,
> but same bucket is fine).
>
> The closest feature on Amazon S3 I could find is [1], but not exact the
> same, the one from Amazon S3 API was designed for static web site hosting.
>
> Is this a valid feature request we can put into radosgw? The way I am
> thinking to implement is like symbolic link, the link object just contains a
> pointer to the original object.

Yeah, I don't see why not to have such a feature. Access to the
referral object can potentially have us return a redirect response, or
actually return the data. The latter is somewhat similar to swift
static large objects (with the slight difference that we only refer to
a single object here), for which we have a pending pull request open.
The redirect does look somehow like the static website feature, for
which we're also in a review process.
Probably extending the swift slo feature to be supported in S3, and
have add special api that will only have it point to a single object
is a good way to proceed. Later we can have it redirect if the object
that is referenced resides in a different region. Just sending a
redirect to everything will make it simpler, any reason to go with the
more complicated solution (performance is an obvious one)?

Yehuda