Re: NIC with Erasure offload feature support and Ceph

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM, Mike <mike.almateia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In our project we planing build a petabayte cluster with Erasure pool.
> Also we looking on Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx EN Cards/ConnectX-4 EN Cards
> for using its a offloading erasure code feature.
>
> Someone use this feature in test lab/prodaction?

Nope. Ceph's erasure coding is very configurable (in terms of what
kind of EC it's doing) but the offload features in NICs that we've
seen aren't quite flexible enough for what Ceph is doing — it's an
unusual use case and set of requirements where these offload cards are
concerned. (We need to take an incoming stream, look at the raw
stream, then erasure code it into an unknown set of pieces, and then
send those pieces back out over the network to different addresses.)
-Greg