Re: civetweb upstream/downstream divergence

Hi Pete,

On 30/10/2015 13:57, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:58:07 -0700
> Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We should definitely do it. We're based off civetweb 1.6, and there
>> was no official civetweb version for quite a while, but 1.7 was tagged
>> a few months ago. I made some effort and got most of our material
>> changes upstream, however, there are some changes that might need some
>> more work before we can get them merged, or might not make complete
>> sense at all.
>
> I take it Nathan is volunteering to parse the delta into logical pieces
> and identify what upstream is willing to accept, right?

I've discussed with Nathan about this general problem a few times. The issue is much less about volunteering and much more about how to track the progress of the delta over time.

> Dunno about SuSE, but as a Fedora packager I would prefer if we (Ceph)
> talked upstream into making regular releases and then for us to stop
> carrying it entirely. One less git submodule if nothing else.

Right now we have no method. For the jerasure / gf-complete sub-modules, I'm watching the delta and do the right thing but it's mostly an unwritten process: someone else would do it completely differently. For other Ceph sub-modules I suppose each developer has his own way of dealing with the delta.I remember Sage recently proposed patches upstream for rocksdb but I'm unaware of where or how. I would not be able to help him in any way. And I don't think anyone could figure out exactly how to deal with the jerasure / gf-complete sub-modules either.

Do you happen to know a project that is using submodules (or copies of projects instead of dependencies) and that is also well organized to track the delta ?

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre