Re: [Ceph-announce] v9.1.0 Infernalis release candidate released

Hi

Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Upgrading from Firefly
> ----------------------
>
> Upgrading directly from Firefly v0.80.z is not possible.  All clusters
> must first upgrade to Hammer v0.94.4 or a later v0.94.z release; only
> then is it possible to upgrade to Infernalis 9.2.z.

What's the exact issue with upgrading directly from Firefly to
Infernalis? Is it just that you can't run mixed Firefly and Infernalis
versions at the same time during an upgrade or is also the on disk
format changing so that Infernals daemons won't understand the Firefly
data structures?

This is bad for Debian as the current stable release contains Firefly
and the next Debian stable will likely contain the LTS release scheduled
after Infernalis. So there won't be a Debian stable with Hammer. But
upgrades are important and we would really like to have an upgrade path
From one Debian release to the next.

Is there anything that can be done about this? At least having an
offline upgrade option would be nice, if an online upgrade is not
possible. How are other distributions planing to handle this? Ubuntu
will likely have a similar problem at least for LTS to LTS upgrades.

Gaudenz