Re: [Hammer Backports] Should rest-bench be removed on hammer ?

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28/09/2015 12:19, Abhishek Varshney wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The rest-bench tool has been removed in master through PR #5428
> > (https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/5428). The backport PR #5812
> > (https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/5812) is currently causing failures
> > on the hammer-backports integration branch. These failures can be
> > resolved by either backporting PR #5428 or by adding a hammer-specific
> > commit to PR #5812.
> >
> > How should we proceed here?
>
> It looks like rest-bench support was removed because cosbench can replace it. The string cosbench or rest.bench does not show in ceph-qa-suite / ceph master or hammer, which probably means tests using rest-bench are outside of the scope of the ceph project. Deprecating rest-bench from hammer by backporting https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/5428 seems sensible.

I don't think we should be removing tools in a stable series unless we
have a really good reason to do so.  In this case we're dropping
rest-bench because we don't want to maintain it, not because it is fatally
broken.  Hammer users who are using shouldn't find that is is removed in
a later point release.