Re: Adding Data-At-Rest compression support to Ceph

Samuel,
I completely agree about the need to have a blueprint before the implementation. But I think we should fix what approach to use ( when and how to perform the compression) first. I'll summarize existing suggestions and their Pros and Cons shortly. Thus we'll be able to discuss them more productively.

Regarding performing the compression at the client side - I'm afraid it's not that easy given the fact that we have multiple clients with different use patterns and random data access.

Thanks,
Igor.