Re: Installing Ceph without root privilege

On 31/07/15 07:10, Piyawath Boukom wrote:
Dear Ceph-dev team,

My name is Piyawath. I’m trying to set up Ceph on university’s machine.

Unfortunately, I am able to install/set up it in user mode (not root), including creating Ceph user and other processes. Is it possible to do set up without root privilege ?

I’m quite new in this field, please forgive me if I ignorantly asked you.

Hi,

I guess if you're installing as non-root then you probably just want something to experiment with a bit?

The easiest thing may be to compile from source:
http://ceph.com/docs/next/install/build-ceph/

...and then create a temporary "vstart" cluster:
http://ceph.com/docs/next/dev/quick_guide/

This is not at all suitable for putting any real data in, but will let you play around a bit with the ceph command line etc. If you need a more realistic system I would suggest asking your administrator for a way to create virtual machines, so that you can have root in the virtual machines and install packages there.

John