Re: systemd status

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've finally had some time to play with the systemd integration branch on
> fedora 22.  It's in wip-systemd and my current list of issues includes:
>
> - after mon creation ceph-create-keys isn't run automagically
>   - Personally I kind of hate how it was always run on mon startup and not
> just during cluster creation so I wouldn't mind *so* much if this became
> an explicit step, maybe triggered by ceph-deploy, after mon create.

I would be happy to see this become an explicit step as well.  We
could make it conditional such that ceph-deploy only runs it if we are
dealing with systemd, but I think re-running ceph-create-keys is
always safe.  It just aborts if
/etc/ceph/{cluster}.client.admin.keyring is already present.

> - udev's attempt to trigger ceph-disk isn't working for me.  the osd
> service gets started but the mount isn't present and it fails to start.
> I'm a systemd noob and haven't sorted out how to get udev to log something
> meaningful to debug it.  Perhaps we should merge in the udev +
> systemd revamp patches here too...
>
> - ceph-detect-init is only recently unbroken in master for fedora 22.
>
> - ceph-deploy doesn't know that fedora should be systemd yet.
>
> - ceph-deploy has a wip-systemd branch with a few things so far:
>   - on mon create, we unconditionally systemctl enable ceph.target.
> i think osd create and mds create and rgw create should do the same thing,
> since the ceph.target is a catch-all bucket for any ceph service, and i
> don't think we want to enable it on install?
>   - rgw create and mds create don't work yet
>   - osd create doesn't enable ceph.target

yeah, the ceph-deploy changes needed to properly support systemd are
pretty big. As part of that effort, ceph-deploy could use some
refactoring to more gracefully handle multiple init systems.  Owen has
proposed some of the changes necessary already, and there is some
current discussion about what constitutes minor vs major refactoring.
See https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/pull/317 for some WIP toward
abstracting the init system in ceph-deploy.