Re: MDS auth caps for cephfs

I think if there is a way to store the tenant ID with the UID/GID,
then a lot of the challenges could be resolved.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Gregory Farnum  wrote:

> Right, this is basically what we're planning. The sticky bits are about
> 1) dealing with clients that have access to multiple UIDs/GIDs
> (because different end users are on the same host, for instance). :)

I'm having trouble visualizing this. This seems to be the best option
because there is no collision of UID/GIDs. If the problem is that a
user on multiple boxes don't have the ability to set their UID/GID to
the same thing, then that is where the client can specify which
UID/GID to use. But by doing so, they can't access anything from other
tenants because the tenant ID won't match on the MDS.

> 2) dealing with "public cloud"-like scenarios, where you have a bunch
> of tenants who are all root on their own machines and thus control
> their UID space. (Right now we can't put multiple CephFS instances in
> a single RADOS cluster, so the only obvious way to support this is by
> giving each client their own subspace within the unified hierarchy.)

Yes, the tenant ID would give each tenant to do their own thing
regardless of root access to their local boxes. It creates a separate
space that the MDS can enforce.

>> Some tenants may want just local UID/GID
>> management, others may want LDAP, Kerberos, etc. I believe Ceph should
>> only be worried about "share" permissions and leave "file" permissions
>> to the tenant. Ceph just needs the ability to store UID/GID and POSIX
>> ACLs.
>
> Well that doesn't quite work — it's entirely possible you want to
> share read-only files with a bunch of people that shouldn't be allowed
> to write them; that lack of write ability needs to be enforced by Ceph
> at the server layer!

The MDS would add the tenant ID to the perms, if it doesn't match,
then they can't write, only read because that is what is specified in
the User caps, only the "owner" of the directory would have write
access.

>> The MDS could combine a tenant ID and a UID/GID to store unique
>> UID/GIDs on the back end and just strip off the tenant ID when
>> presented to the client so there are no collisions of UID/GIDs between
>> tenants in the MDS.
>
> Hmm, that is another thought...
> -Greg

Robert LeBlanc
GPG Fingerprint 79A2 9CA4 6CC4 45DD A904  C70E E654 3BB2 FA62 B9F1