Re: MDS auth caps for cephfs

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Okay, so it's just malformed cephx caps then. We could just make it
> >> refuse to accept gid specs if there's not a uid one as well.
> >
> > Well... it's meaningless if the client gets to choose the gid set.  If we
> > don't do that, then it depends on what the server-side does.  If kerberos
> > is used (i.e., the user doesn't get to choose an arbitrary uid) then it's
> > okay.  But yeah, I guess we should disallow it for now until that becomes
> > available, since in the meantime even with server-side uid->gid mapping
> > they can pick any uid.
> >
> >> Not that I'm necessarily opposed to doing it server-side, but I'm not
> >> sure where we'd store it in the minimal configuration (without
> >> kerberos or some other server to do lookups in) and not including them
> >> in the cephx caps just feels odd.
> >
> > Yeah.  In fact, if we do have a server-side uid->gid map, and a cap like
> >
> >  allow rw uid 100 gid 100
> >
> > does the gid part actually accomplish anything?  I'm thinking it doesn't,
> > and we can just forget gid in the caps entirely for the time being?  I
> > mean, maybe the user is in groups 100, 200, and 300, but we only want to
> > them act as though they're in 100 for this mount.. but who would even want
> > to do that, and do we care at this point?
>
> I don't understand. In the base case where there is no other user
> authentication/authorization system in place, we need to either
> support group allows in the cephx caps, or we disallow the use of
> groups, or each individual user/mount can claim to be a member of
> whatever group they want.

Oh, right.  I was assuming the MDS is configured with some uid->gid
backend.  But many won't have or want that, and

> So that makes me think we need to support group allows in the cephx
> caps, of form something like
>
>  allow rw uid 100 gid 100,200,300
>
> That would let the client act as user 100 and as a member of groups
> 100, 200, and 300 (*only* with uid 100!) if they so desire. That
> enables lots of important use cases with sharing, right? And it's not
> the client choosing the allowed set, it's the Ceph administrator. Is
> there something about this that we don't want to enable that I'm just
> missing, or are you ignoring the non-Kerberos case, or is there some
> conflict between this and the Kerberos case, or....?

I think this makes perfect sense.  :)

So, the use-cases are now:

1) No authentication: 'allow any'.  What we have now.

2) Subtree restriction: 'allow rw path /foo'.

3) Uid and group restriction: 'allow rw uid 123 gids 123,1000,1001'.

4) Uid restriction + some backend: 'allow rw uid 123'.  MDS will do some
call-out to map each uid to a gid list.

5) Kerberos: 'allow rw kerberos blah blah'.  Client presents user tickets
to MDS, and MDS will do the call-out to map that to a uid + gid list.

6) 2 + 3

7) 2 + 4

8) 2 + 5

And then later, maybe,

9) 2 + a different backend for each subtree.

> I feel like our meanings are sliding past each other again here. :(

Hopefully not?  :)
sage