Re: Proposal for a Backport tracker

On 22/05/2015 12:36, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> On 05/22/2015 09:32 AM, Nathan Cutler wrote:
>>> We can probably keep the original ticket in the "Pending Backport"
>>> status until all backports are resolved, as we currently do.

>>> When all backports are resolved, then we can also resolve the original
>>> ticket. Do you forsee a problem with that ?
>>>

>> Yes and no. It's a scripting problem, not a workflow problem. I'll try
>> to describe the scenario I'm envisioning:
>>
>> We have a simple script that loops over all tickets with status "Pending
>> Backport". We run it once per week. The first week we run it, the script
>> finds 3 such tickets. For each one it creates a ticket in the Backport
>> tracker.
>>
>> A week goes by, during which developers marked 4 more tickets "Pending
>> Backport". It's time to run the script again. Since it is looping over
>> all tickets marked "Pending Backport", it now finds 7 such tickets: 3
>> from last week and the 4 new ones. For each one it dutifully creates a
>> new ticket in the Backport tracker. Now we have duplicate Backport
>> tickets for 3 bugfixes.
>>
>> But I guess it will be trivial to make the script check if a Backport
>> ticket is already open and refrain from opening a new one in this case.
>
> Alternatively, adding a new state to the tracker that distinguishes
> between tickets that are pending being picked up on by the stable
> releases team vs those that are just pending the backport.  Say, "Mark
> for Backport" vs "Pending Backport".

I liked the idea, wrote a reply and then realized: that won't save the script from checking if the reality matches the status. Sometimes the "backports" field is updated to remove or add a new backport target. It may mean closing or creating the corresponding issue and for that the script will have to query the backport tracker.

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre