Re: master vs. next

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15/05/2015 11:48, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'm a newcomer to the ceph project. SubmittingPatches says to target
>>> next for bugfixes and master for features. Beyond that I only have the
>>> vaguest notion of what the next branch is for and how patches get moved
>>> back and forth between master and next. Can anyone comment?
>>
>> next is development release branch (while firefly, hammer, etc are
>> stable release branches).  Bugfix PRs are submitted against next, next
>> is periodically merged into master.  In fact anybody can merge next
>> into master at any time to get the fix merged into next in master.
>> (Not the other way around - fixes are not supposed to go into master and
>> then be cherry-picked into next.)  After the development release is
>> cut, next is reset to master.
>>
>> I'm sure others will correct me if I missed something.
>
> I've always targeted commits to master (although I should have used next instead). The only downside of doing that is that my commit will only be in the +2 development version, or is there another inconvenience ?

For regular commits (features, enhancements, cleanups, etc) you should
target master, as you always have.  The fact that those commits don't
show up in any release right away is a pretty much a feature ;)

If you need to fix something that is broken in next, then you target
next.  I'm sure sometimes on an ad-hoc basis commits are cherry-picked
from master into next or even go directly into next to expedite things,
but that's rare and not something a newcomer should be concerned about.

That's my understanding - I suspect you, given your involvement into
backporting efforts, know more about this than I do.

Thanks,

                Ilya