Re: [Ceph-maintainers] statically allocated uid/gid for ceph

On 04/28/2015 02:02 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
>> much progress on the SUSE front.  I did suggest everyone just do what
>> Debian does ;) but both Fedora and SUSE people pointed out that the 64K
>> range isn't safe to claim, what with not being specifically reserved.
>>
>> I did make one small bit of progress - I've added the ceph user and
>> group to rpmlint on openSUSE Factory
>> (https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/303537) so at least the SUSE
>> build won't bitch if files specified in any of the packages are owned by
>> ceph:ceph.

It is my sad duty to report that I've been unable to get a static
UID/GID allocated for SLES or openSUSE.

TL;DR:

* There's nothing free in the reserved static range 0-99.
* We can't take something from the unreserved ranges (500-999,
60001-64K) and hope for the best due to potential conflicts with old
systems, LDAP users on those ranges, customers, etc. etc.

Consequently I would like to propose the following as a least-worst
fallback/workaround:

1) Add functionality to ceph-deploy to create the user and group during
`ceph-deploy install`.  This would happen iff new (optional) --ceph-uid
and --ceph-gid arguments[1] were passed to `ceph-deploy install`, and
would happen before any ceph packages are installed.  This would allow
individual sites to choose the UID/GID so they know it doesn't conflict
with anything already in use.

2) Add a guard to the %pre script in the RPM so it only invokes `useradd
and `groupadd` if the ceph user and group don't already exist.

If the UID and GID aren't specified during `ceph-deploy install`, then
it'll fall back to "next available" in the system range when
useradd/groupadd are invoked in the rpm %pre script.

The above should have no impact on other distros where a fixed UID/GID
is already set in the package.

Does this sound viable?

Regards,

Tim

[1] Or, possibly, it should force both UID and GID to the same number,
meaning we only need one argument, say --ceph-uidgid?
--
Tim Serong
Senior Clustering Engineer