Re: autodetecting init system.

On 11/05/2015 17:29, Owen Synge wrote:
Dear all,

Many init systems are used in linux now. Some ceph code needs to know
the init system. (I must admit I have not looked into Solaris, MacOS and
BSD and probably should have)

It would be nice to have one function that detects the init system

Since the init system can be specified in ceph and ceph-deploy
explicitly it seems to be its reasonable to fail clearly to detect init
system.
I think I'm missing some background here. I was under the impression that distros generally had a preferred init system (even if they let you switch), and if another is in use then compatibility links are usually provided (e.g. sysv-style calling through to systemd or vice versa). Given that, the distro packaging then uses whatever the "right" way to start a service is for that distro, and it's up to the distro to make sure that command is available.

Otherwise don't we descend into a kind of madness where a package post-install script can't start a service, because it doesn't know what command to run?

Cheers,
John