Re: Configure dependencies can be the same as make dependencies

On 05/05/2015 08:36 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:

> On 05/05/2015 16:31, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:34 AM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Kefu,
>>>
>>> In the context of https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/4449 and
>>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/4544 I see you're going out
>>> of your way to implement mechanisms that make it possible to
>>> require less dependencies when running
>>>
>>> ./configure
>>>
>>> than what is required by
>>>
>>> ./make check
>>>
>>> I think the right solution is to require the same set of
>>> dependencies, regardless. It can easily be done by running
>>> ./install-deps.sh[1].
>>>
>>> This script is already used in jenkins.ceph.com and saved us
>>> from the recurring pain of manually updating the jenkins slaves
>>> every time a dependency was added to either ceph.spec.in or
>>> debian/control.
>>>
>>> Although it is possible to run ./configure with a subset of the
>>> dependencies that are required to run make check, it trades
>>> automatic installation of packages for significant manual
>>> maintenance. It saves a little disk and bandwidth every time a
>>> dependency is modified in the ceph.spec.in or debian/control
>>> files, which happens a few times a months at most. The work
>>> items to manually maintain this difference:
>>>
>>> * the set of dependencies that ./configure requires needs to be
>>> manually maintained, it is not listed anywhere at the moment.
>>> It changes less often than ceph.spec.in or debian/control but
>>> it does change from time to time * the configure script has to
>>> be engineered to only require dependencies (assuming these
>>> dependencies are listed somewhere). In other word, every time
>>> you change the configure script you have to be extra careful to
>>> not introduce a new dependency, even when it would help
>>> implement what you're after in a simpler way. * the configure
>>> script dependencies in the context of CI actually change every
>>> time you consider using --enable-something because it modifies
>>> the set of files your tarbal is made of. If the corresponding
>>> something is not installed, the configure will likely not do
>>> what you want and you'll have to add something manually on the
>>> CI machine (or use install-deps.sh but that would defeat the
>>> purpose of separating configure dependencies from make
>>> dependencies) * to avoid adding dependencies to configure, it
>>> is tempting to forbid file generation when preparing the tarbal
>>> (I'm thinking .8 generation specifically), although it is
>>> legitimate for the tarbal generation to involve some processing
>>> and transformation of the sources that require tools to run *
>>> it is very unlikely a new developer will remember configure
>>> dependencies and make dependencies are different and mistakes
>>> will be done all the time, creating needless frustration
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but...
>
> The bit of context I forgot to mention is that ./configure is often
> [...]

I think the long-term solution to Kefu's issue is that we need to
remove the requirement to run through a full "./configure" invocation
just to get a tarball. All the RPM and Debian packages internally run
./configure, so running it a second time slows things down. I think it
makes sense to implement the tarball-generation functionality using a
simpler script at the root of the ceph.git tree. The operation should
be about as fast as "git archive".

The "ceph.spec.in" -> "ceph.spec" suffers from a similar issue. It
takes a full "./configure" run to get to a point where Make can write
the proper version numbers into that file. Ideally we could skip all
of that and simply do the variable interpolation with sed or something.

- - Ken