From: ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sage Weil
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 4:56 AM
To: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: newstore and rocksdb column families

Dhruba (rocksdb dev) asked if column families might be a good fit for controlling the WAL behavior.  I'm not certain it addresses specifically the WAL behavior, but it creates a bunch of opportunities for segregating the overlay and/or wal records out from the regular metadata (onodes, omap).  The short version is that each column family has it's own memtable and sstable files, but everything shares the same WAL, so you still get the atomicity.

I suspect this would be most helpful for the overlay records, where we'll have reasonably large key/value pairs with medium to long lifespans.  I'm not sure how helpful it will be with our wal records since if they make it out of the log at all we are already losing.  :/

Anyway, something to consider!

https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/wiki/Column-Families

sage