Re: [Ceph-maintainers] statically allocated uid/gid for ceph

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Tim Serong wrote:
> On 12/11/2014 05:48 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > +ceph-devel

> >> How many system users should I request from the Fedora Packaging
> >> Committee, and what should their names be?
> >>
> >> For example, are ceph-mon and ceph-osd going to run under the same
> >> non-privileged system account?
> >
> > Hmm, my first impulse was to make a single user and group.  But it might
> > make sense that e.g. rgw should run in a different context than ceph-osd
> > or ceph-mon.
> >
> > If we go down that road, then maybe
> >
> >  ceph-osd
> >  ceph-mon
> >  ceph-mds
> >  ceph-rgw
> >  ceph-calamari
> >
> > and a 'ceph' group that we can use for /var/log/ceph etc for the qemu
> > and other librados users?
> >
> > Alternatively, if we just do user+group ceph, then rgw can run as www-data
> > or apache (as it does now).  Not sure what makes the most sense for
> > ceph-calamari.
>
> FWIW my gut says go with a single ceph user+group and leave rgw running
> as the apache user.

Someone just tripped over this with hammer's radosgw, which doesn't
require apache by default (using civetweb)--the apache user didn't
exist.

It is probably simplest to make radosgw run as 'ceph' too.  This avoids
all these issues, and will let radosgw log to /var/log/ceph/* too.

sage