RE: Initial newstore vs filestore results

Mark, What is the workload pattern for below data? Small IO or big IO? New file or in-place update in RBD?

Filestore does a lot of reads and writes to a couple of specific portions of the device and has peaks/valleys when data gets written out in bulk.  I would have expected to see more sequential looking writes during the peaks due to journal writes and no reads to that portion of the disk, but it seems murkier to me than that.

http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/filestore/RBD_00524288_randwrite_OSD0.mpg

newstore+no_overlay does kind of a flurry of random IO and looks like
it's somewhat seek bound.  It's very consistent but actual write performance is low compared to what blktrace reports as the data hitting the disk.  Something happening toward the beginning of the drive too.

http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/no_overlay/RBD_00524288_randwrite_OSD0.mpg

newstore+8m overlay is interesting.  Lots of data gets written out to
the disk in seemingly large chunks but the actual throughput as reported by the client is very slow.  I assume there's tons of write amplification happening as rocksdb moves the 512k objects around into different levels.

http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/8m_overlay/RBD_00524288_randwrite_OSD0.mpg

Notice for instance a comparison of random 512k writes between filestore, newstore with no overlay, and newstore with 8m overlay:

http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/filestore/RBD_00524288_randwrite.png
http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/8m_overlay/RBD_00524288_randwrite.png
http://nhm.ceph.com/newstore/20150409/no_overlay/RBD_00524288_randwrite.png

The client rbd throughput as reported by fio is:

filestore: 20.44MB/s
newstore+no_overlay: 4.35MB/s
newstore+8m_overlay: 3.86MB/s

But notice that in the graphs, we see very different behaviors on disk.

[...]

Mark