Re: ceph versions

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Resurrecting this thread since we need to make a decision soon.  The
> opinions broke down like so:
>
>  A - me
>  B - john
>  C - alex
>  D - loic (and drop release names), yehuda, ilya
>  openstack - dmsimard
>
> So, most people seem to like D (below):
>
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Sage Weil wrote:
>> -- Option D -- "labeled"
>>
>> X.Y-{dev,rc,release}Z
>>
>>  - Increment Y on each major named release
>>  - Increment X if it's a major major named release (bigger change
>> than usual)
>>  - Use dev, rc, or release prefix to clearly label what type of release
>> this is
>>  - Increment Z for stable updates
>>
>>  1.0-dev1 first infernalis dev release
>>  1.0-dev2 another dev release
>>  1.0-rc1 first rc
>>  1.0-rc2 next rc
>>  1.0-release1 final release
>>  1.0-release2 stable update
>>  1.0-release3 stable update
>>  1.1-dev1 first cut for j-release
>>  1.1-dev2 ...
>>  1.1-rc1
>>  1.1-release1 stable
>>  1.1-release2 stable
>>  1.1-release3 stable
>
> This initialy made me a bit sad because it wasn't my favorite.  My
> aesthetic issues aside, though, I think more explicit dev vs release
> distinction is important and useful.  I think the main issue is the
> strings in the version which will cause pain for some distros.
>
> Would this make sense instead?
>
>  x.0.z - development releases
>  x.1.z - release candidate(s)
>  x.2.z - release and bugfix updates

The problem with encoding information about the kind of release into
digits is that you have to know what they mean. I guarantee you that
people are going to install dev release by mistake (because it's a
higher-valued point release!) if we go this route.

I didn't vote before because I don't know much about the difficulty
any of these will cause in packaging and distros, but just in terms of
clarity and user experience I really prefer "vanilla" D to the
others...
-Greg