Re: ceph versions

Resurrecting this thread since we need to make a decision soon.  The
opinions broke down like so:

 A - me
 B - john
 C - alex
 D - loic (and drop release names), yehuda, ilya
 openstack - dmsimard

So, most people seem to like D (below):

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Sage Weil wrote:
> -- Option D -- "labeled"
>
> X.Y-{dev,rc,release}Z
>
>  - Increment Y on each major named release
>  - Increment X if it's a major major named release (bigger change
> than usual)
>  - Use dev, rc, or release prefix to clearly label what type of release
> this is
>  - Increment Z for stable updates
>
>  1.0-dev1 first infernalis dev release
>  1.0-dev2 another dev release
>  1.0-rc1 first rc
>  1.0-rc2 next rc
>  1.0-release1 final release
>  1.0-release2 stable update
>  1.0-release3 stable update
>  1.1-dev1 first cut for j-release
>  1.1-dev2 ...
>  1.1-rc1
>  1.1-release1 stable
>  1.1-release2 stable
>  1.1-release3 stable

This initialy made me a bit sad because it wasn't my favorite.  My
aesthetic issues aside, though, I think more explicit dev vs release
distinction is important and useful.  I think the main issue is the
strings in the version which will cause pain for some distros.

Would this make sense instead?

 x.0.z - development releases
 x.1.z - release candidate(s)
 x.2.z - release and bugfix updates

John preferred B (even/odd) because it encodes the important info in the
x.y portion of the version; I think the above does that too, and a bit
more succinctly.

What do you think?

If that works for people, the follow-up question is what initial X value
we should choose.  We could go with 1 (and live with the baggage
associated with what "1.0" is supposed to mean), or with 9 (J is the 9th
letter).  And if we do that, should we make the hammer release 8.2.0 or
stick with 0.94?

sage