Re: Keeping up with the backports

Hi Andrey,

Dumpling was published about 18 month ago and that was its expected life time. Therefore, yes, in theory Dumpling 0.67.12 ( http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10560 ) is likely to be the last point release. It's however the first LTS to reach "end of life" and I guess we may have another one, in case an interesting backport shows up.

> Or Dumpling will be still maintained but only by a community effort?

If someone from the community is willing to make that commitment to Dumpling, I'll help her/him as much as I can. I also think it would make sense for the Ceph project to provide the technical infrastructure for that, but it's not a discussion we had yet. For instance say there are 15 interesting patches pending for Firefly in three years from now. The teuthology/package building/release publishing machinery for Firefly could be saved somewhere for the benefit of someone willing to revive them and publish a new Firefly version.

It could be argued that it does not make sense to keep going after the end of life of a stable release. But it's not true in some cases, as can be seen for instance with qemu where a some release are packaged on so many patches that it looks like a new release. I guess Ceph will be facing that kind of challenges in the near future.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre