Re: Standardization of perf counters comments

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Alyona Kiseleva
<akiselyova@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to propose something.
>
> There are a lot of perf counters in different places in code, but the most
> of them are undocumented. I found only one commented counter in OSD.cc code,
> but not for all metrics. Name of counter is not very clear as it's
> description, sometimes isn't at all.
>
> So, I have an idea, that it would be great, if perf schema would contain not
> only the counter type, but some description too. It can be added in
> PerfCountersBuilder methods - at first as optional parameter with empty
> string by default, later, may be, as required parameter. This short
> description could be saved in perf_counter_data_any_d struct together with
> other counter properties and appear in perf schema as the second counter
> property.

I actually suspect that we'll be more successful if the description is
not optional. That way people are forced to provide a string of some
kind, instead of not knowing that it's even an option to do so. It's
more up-front work to provide a description for all the counters but
should make everything a lot more accessible to users than saying
"well, *some* of them have descriptions, if we were feeling
conscientious that day and knew about doing so". ;)
-Greg