Re: 'Immutable bit' on pools to prevent deletion

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although the userland tools like 'ceph' and 'rados' have a safeguard
> against fat fingers when it comes to removing a pool there is no such
> safeguard when using native librados.
>
> The danger still exists that by accident you remove a pool which is then
> completely gone, no way to restore it.
>
> This is still something I find quite dangerous, so I was thinking about
> a additional 'Immutable bit' which could be set on a pool before
> rados_pool_delete() allows this pool to be removed.
>
> Is it a sane thing to look at 'features' which pools could have? Other
> features which might be set on a pool:
>
> - Read Only (all write operations return -EPERM)
> - Delete Protected
>
> It's just that looking at a 20TB RBD pool and thinking that just one API
> call could remove this pool make me a bit scared.
>
> Am I the only one or is this something worth looking in to?

I completely agree. A while back I opened an issue for that, #9792,
with some suggestions:

- require a special key for this command
- pool removal doesn't apply immediately, but rather first switches
pool to 'pending removal'
- pending removal state reflected in the cluster status
- operation can be cancelled when pending

Yehuda