Re: 'Immutable bit' on pools to prevent deletion

On 01/15/2015 04:39 PM, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> +1 for safeguards.
>
> Yeah that is scary: it's one api call to delete a pool, and perhaps even a client with w capability on a pool can delete it?? (I didn’t try...)

Quick try, yes! Created a pool and user which only has access to that
pool. I was able to remove that pool.

> I can think of many ways that fat fingers can create crazy loads, deny client access, ...

Sure, but none of those actually make you loose your data.

I know that you should create backups, but by accident removing a pool
is something that is very dangerous and it will take a lot of time to
restore from backups.

>  1. changing pool size
>  2. setting pool quotas
>  3. unplanned PG splitting
>  4. creating an EC pool on a cluster with dumpling clients
>  5. reweight-by-utilization
>  6. changing crush rules/tunables
>
> —yes-i-really-really-mean-it is nice when it’s there. But regardless it is probably not a good practice to work daily (or run librados cron jobs) in a shell that has access to the client.admin keyring. I’ve thought of using sudo to restrict our admin shell to subset of ceph admin commands. But even better would be a internal bit which locks out the API beneath “ceph osd pool …” and “ceph osd crush …”, even for client.admin.
>
> Maybe this is already possible by creating a client.admin-readonly account for daily work and crons, and limit access to client.admin except when absolutely necessary ?

That would be great indeed. The client.admin key currently has all the
capabilities and I would indeed like a RO account.

But still, another safeguard against deleting pools would be something
I'd like to see.

Wido