Re: Accessing file layout information

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Atchley, Scott <atchleyes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Atchley, Scott <atchleyes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For a given file in cephfs, I would like to determine:
>>>
>>> 1) the number of PGs
>>> 2) the PG IDs
>>> 3) the offsets handles by each PG
>>> 4) the stripe unit (i.e. bytes per block of data)
>>>
>>> preferably using a C API.
>>>
>>> I found the getfattr command line tool which provides (1) and (4).
>>>
>>> It appears that cephfs command line tool provides some of the info, but the manpage is not clear as to what is provided by show_layout versus show_location. Does show_layout provide (1) and (4)? Does show_location include (2) and (3)?
>>>
>>> I found a Java CephFileExtent() that provides (1) and a list of OSDs for the stripe unit that contains the provided file extent.
>>
>> What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? I can imagine some
>> limited scenarios where you want to map to PGs, but in general you're
>> a lot more interested in either the objects associated with the file,
>> or the OSDs that host them. I think you can get objects and OSDs out
>> of the latest libcephfs api.
>
> We implemented a file transfer tool for Lustre that transfers data by object rather than by file. The scheduling of the object transfers is done in a way to defer transfers from congested servers in hopes that they will be less congested in the near future (given our bulk-synchronous workload, congestion of a set of servers is generally temporary).
>
> I would rather know OSDs versus PGs, but I did not assume that the info was available.

Yeah, look at ceph_get_file_extent_osds in libcephfs. :)

>>> On the architecture page (http://ceph.com/docs/next/architecture/) under DATA STRIPING, does cephfs client use the same set of PGs used for Object Set 1 for Object Set 2 or does it use a different PGs?
>>
>> Assuming you mean does it use the same PGs for each file's objects,
>> the answer is no, definitely not.
>> -Greg
>
> No, I assume the Object Set 1 on that page indicates four objects on four different PGs. Within Object Set 1, Object 0 holds stripe units 0, 4, 8, and 12. Object 1 holds stripe units 1, 5, 9, and 13 and so on. Each Object 0-3 are stored on different PGs. Is this correct so far?
>
> My question above is about Object Set 2, which holds Objects 4-7? Is Object 4 on the same PG as Object 0? Is Object 5 on the same PG as Object 1? Etc? Or does Object Set 2 (holding Objects 4-7) use different PGs?

The sets use completely different names which are (generally) going to
be placed completely differently. They're just <inode number>.<object
number>, where the inode number is in hex and the object number is
zero-padded up to some size.
-Greg