Re: Accessing file layout information

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Atchley, Scott <atchleyes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a given file in cephfs, I would like to determine:
>
> 1) the number of PGs
> 2) the PG IDs
> 3) the offsets handles by each PG
> 4) the stripe unit (i.e. bytes per block of data)
>
> preferably using a C API.
>
> I found the getfattr command line tool which provides (1) and (4).
>
> It appears that cephfs command line tool provides some of the info, but the manpage is not clear as to what is provided by show_layout versus show_location. Does show_layout provide (1) and (4)? Does show_location include (2) and (3)?
>
> I found a Java CephFileExtent() that provides (1) and a list of OSDs for the stripe unit that contains the provided file extent.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? I can imagine some
limited scenarios where you want to map to PGs, but in general you're
a lot more interested in either the objects associated with the file,
or the OSDs that host them. I think you can get objects and OSDs out
of the latest libcephfs api.

> On the architecture page (http://ceph.com/docs/next/architecture/) under DATA STRIPING, does cephfs client use the same set of PGs used for Object Set 1 for Object Set 2 or does it use a different PGs?

Assuming you mean does it use the same PGs for each file's objects,
the answer is no, definitely not.
-Greg