Re: Ceph & Cinder & HA

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 3:50 AM, Giulio Fidente <gfidente@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 11:51 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
>>

>> On 10/11/2014 11:34, Sebastien Han wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed, that’s what we discussed with Giulio, using HAProxy for the
>>> Monitors is a bit overkill since the client is natively able to switch
>>> between different monitor source.
>>>
>>> Loic, maybe you can elaborate a bit more on the usage of HAProxy for the
>>> monitors?
>>

>> Hi Sebastien,
>>
>> I can't elaborate because I know nothing about HAProxy (well, close to
>> nothing ;-). I'd like to learn more about how HA (via HAProxy or something
>> else) can leverage Ceph in a meaningfull way thouhg, hence my interest for
>> the topic.
>

> Thanks all for helping.
>
> Loic explained requests for the non-leader monitors go to the monitor anyway
> in which case I understand it makes more sense to avoid the complication of
> balancing the monitors.

Well, that's not quite right — *modification* requests get routed
through the leader; read-only operations are handled by the non-leader
monitors.
But I can't imagine how HAProxy would or could fit into that
communications path, and the clients do switch independently between
monitors as required (and there are a few different methods to
approximate load-balancing in the system, although nothing too
serious).
-Greg