Re: Switch to RBD format 2 by default after Firefly

On 04/08/2014 02:56 PM, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

With Ubuntu 14.04 now shipping with the 3.13 kernel it fully supports Format
2 in both librbd and krbd.

For RHEL 7 there will be a extra yum repo with a module which supports
format 2, so isn't it that that after Firefly we change 'rbd_default_format'
to 2?

I still see a lot of images being created with format 1 and that will
otherwise be hunting us for a long time.

I'd vote for making format 2 the default or at least patch the 'rbd' tool to
create format 2 images.

Fancy format 2 striping is not supported by krbd.  We've had a couple
people who confused format 2 support with the ability to set their own
stripe settings, so we'll need to be more vocal about it.

Ah, that's something I've missed. Never used that in combination with krbd. So yes, we need to be more vocal about that.

Maybe even set a warning in the 'rbd' cli tool? Or at least in the help/usage.

Thanks,

                 Ilya

--
Wido den Hollander