Re: Wireshark Dissector

On Mar 18, 2014 8:04 PM, "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> I think you're on the right track.  I suspect it would go something like:
>
>  - get environment, infrastructure up and running
>  - parse basic message exhcange, but not messages
>  - add support for individual message types by subsystem
>    - mon<->client (including authentication and such)   (small)
>    - osd<->client    (small)
>    - osd<->osd       (big)
>    - mon<->mon       (medium)
>    - client<->mds    (medium)
>    - mds<->mds       (big)

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

> The nice thing here is that the stop point is moveable.  Getting the
> basics in place will make it easy for others to add or update additional
> message decodings later, and with just the few most common messages the
> tool is immediately useful.

I was thinking the same think.  While I think I can finish all the
protocols in the
given time I obviously don't know enough to be sure.  I'm writing my
proposal
so that even if I got hit by a bus the finished work should be a solid
foundation.

> At some point early I would engage with the Wireshark folks too to make
> sure things are appropriate for upstreaming.  Getting the initial support
> in early and following up with support for additional message types later
> might be a good strategy foundation

Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks,
Kevin