Re: Erasure code properties in OSDMap

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, John Spray wrote:
> I am sure all of that will work, but it doesn't explain why these
> properties must be stored and named separately to crush rulesets.  To
> flesh this out one also needs "get" and "list" operations for the sets
> of properties, which feels like overkill if there is an existing place
> we could be storing these things.  The reason I'm taking such an
> interest in what may seem something minor is that once this has been
> added, we will be stuck with it for some time once external tools
> start depending on the interface.
>
> The ruleset-based approach doesn't have to be more complicated for CLI
> users, we would essentially replace any "myproperties" above with a
> ruleset name instead.

The order would have to switch, like so:

because the parameters need to be specified with the pool to determine
even basic stuff like the size.

The problem with this is that the erasure properties are generally
immutable, but it is important to retain the ability to change rules for
an existing pool.  Would the 'set ruleset' command fail if the properties
don't match?

Actually, there are some cases where an expert user ought to be able to
adjust the properties (swtiching between byte-compatible plugins, for
instance), but other values like m and k obviously are fixed.  So I think
there needs to be an 'expert' or 'force' mode that lets you shoot yourself
in the foot, but I don't want that as part of the normal command flow if
possible.

That said, I can imagine a convenience command that creates a ruleset with
the given set of properties in one step (probably matching and reusing an
existing set of properties if the exist).

It's a more complicated interface, yes, but it still feels like the right
set of abstractions. :/

sage